Last year I assisted Paul van Looy in becoming the first Independent Councillor for the St Lukes ward when he beat Anna Waite. I was born in Southend, as were my parents and Southend needs Councillors that do care about the town’s heritage and its unique facilities. We do need to attract visitors and ensure they enjoy their visits to our town. This year Paul is assisting me to become the second Independent Councillor for the ward, where together with other Independent Councillors across the town we aim to make big changes including:
- Putting an end to money wasting “vanity” projects.
- Reducing parking charges to encourage visitors and support local business
- Lowering salaries for Senior Council Officer’s (63 in excess of £50,000 and 26 in excess of £85,000 pa)
- Improving local transport by negotiating a better bus strategy with the companies involved
- Ensuring front line services have proper long term protection
- Generating income by leasing buildings
- Reducing waste by more efficient recycling schemes and efficiency measures
- Protecting parks, beaches and open spaces
- Re-establishing a traditional Town Centre Market
- Listening to the wishes of the residents and acting accordingly.
- Providing support for local businesses.
A Tory vote will continue the failed policies of the current Council Administration and a Labour vote will not improve accountability or
encourage any economic growth and job creation. Only Independents are concerned about protecting and enhancing the character of the town by preventing overdevelopment and introducing policies that improve the health and wellbeing of residents.
The Independent Group currently includes 9 Councillors and is looking to become the majority opposition Group on the Council. We only need a few more seats to create a new Council that listens to the residents rather than the political parties controlled from Westminster. If you want to be a part of this new initiative then vote for me or another Independent candidate if you happen to live in another ward.
This blog is hosted by http://www.blogger.com and any election related statements are written and promoted by Paul van Looy & Brian Ayling, 108A Ennismore Gardens, SS2 5RB.